Green Salad w/ Coho Salmon
The next time you ask yourself, “What should I eat?” Look no further than this salad. Why? Because it approximates the ideal diet for any human. Let me explain.
Although there are a million diets, theories, and facts relating to food, anyone with any level of experience in nutrition will agree that humans need the following to thrive: good proteins, good fats, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, fiber and low-glycemic carbohydrates. That golden combination promotes growth, energy, and health.
If we break down this salad, here is how it looks.
- The Salmon Salad – made with organic mayonnaise, red onion, and spices. Provides the body with easily digestible protein, good quality fats from the fish oils and the mayonnaise, and essential minerals (from the bones).
- The Organic Dark Green Lettuce – provides enzymes and fiber. Fiber helps move your metabolism along, but more importantly (because it can absorb many times its own weight in water) helps rid your intestinal tract of chemicals. Think of scrubbing your insides with a sponge.
- The Organic Carrots – provide low-glycemic carbohydrates. Basically, a small amount of sugar that is slowly digested over a long period of time, keeping your blood sugar levels in check and preventing the chemical signal (insulin) for your body to store fat. They also contain some vitamins, enzymes and minerals.
- The Tomatoes, Red Pepper and Cucumbers – provide fiber, licopene, vitamins (including vitamin C), minerals and low-glycemic carbohydrates.
- The Raspberry Vinaigrette – provides fiber and vitamins from the berries, good fats from the oils, and the organic apple cider vinegar helps to digest it all. Don’t forget the antiseptic properties of fresh garlic!
All-in-all, if you substituted a salad like this for some of your less nutritious meals a few times a week, you may start to feel better, and you would be going a long way towards improving your dietary health. Like my wife says, “Spending a little extra time and effort to eat well now, will probably go a long way to eliminating medical bills when we’re old. Healthy food is like an insurance policy.”
This salad is a standard item on our weight loss meal service menu, and our customers love it!